Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 4 - 19 degrees - Sleet and downtown snow storm

This morning was a bit rough. We started out heading east down the hill from our neighborhood and we realized we were in for a cold ride. Then the sleet started coming down and it wasn't long before our glasses froze over in such a way that we had to pull them down as far as we could and then tilt our heads so we could look over them as we rode. That meant some degree of sleet was hitting our eyeballs. What I would have given for some ski goggles and mini windshield wipers. Maybe a mini defrost system as well.

Oh well, at least you get a respect for weather and the outdoors and a feeling of how truly small you are in the grand scheme of things. Maybe you don't want a feeling like that and that is why you buy a hummer-to feel all big and unstoppable. Although even that didn't work out so well for the kid driving a hummer in the last snow storm who ended up overturned and killing people in a sedan in the oncoming lane.

After making it to Kristin's work, I decided to harness the pony and rest my feet for a few minutes in front of her portable heater. I wore two pairs of socks today and I did better than yesterday, but I don't think I could have made it another three miles to my office without a little frostbite.

The main problem today was that the snowy sleet covered the streets and path with a small layer of white. This was very effective at hiding the remaining ice on the roads. My rear back tire was better at finding the ice than my eyes were. We made it though without any falls-just some close calls.

When I got back into downtown, I found myself in my own little snowstorm. I don't know where it came from or where it went, but by the time I made it indoors, my dress shirt was so soaked I had to throw it over a chair to let it dry out. A guy waiting at the elevator asked me if I was the one he saw hoofing it through the snowstorm. He also wondered where that snowstorm came from.

Lesson learned: Always bring my rain jacket Kristin bought me for our anniversary, even if I don't think there is going to be a mini snowstorm following me on my bicycle.

Looking forward to a warmer ride to meet Kristin at work this afternoon.

...And no more personal snowstorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment