Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 5: 32 degrees

Well, this morning was a better ride to work. It was nice and dry. It seemed like there was more wind so even though it was 32 instead of 18, I still had cold feet. Thankfully, I just talked to a coworker who told me a good method to solve that problem. I will give it a try and let you know if it works.

I just finished the book "The Cyclist's Manifesto: The Case for Riding on Two Wheels Instead of Four." Robert Hurst says,

"Those wondering what society is all about could get some idea just by listening to it. It sounds like explosions encased in steel."


It really surprises you when you start riding and you learn that transportation can be so quiet and peaceful on a bicycle. And it really contrasts, all the more, how loud the automobile is.

The Midland Valley Trail uses highway right-of-way from 3rd street downtown to 15th and Peoria. It is amazing how loud the traffic is and what it does to you when you are outside and close to it.


I am riding by all these beautiful houses that used to have peaceful backyards until someone decided to blast out a highway 100 feet away. Now people come outside every day to the sound of trucks and cars. I bet the owners of these homes love the biggest blizzards and storms so they can go outside their home for a few days out of the year without the sound of explosions.

1 comment: