Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 18- Am I crazy?

That's the question I've been asking myself over the past 24 hours.

Thursday, January 28
Tulsa, OK
Hi: 27
Lo: 34
Ice/Snow
Sunrise: 7:28 AM Sunset: 5:45 PM
A major winter storm is possible with significant accumulating ice and snow. Temperatures will fall into the 20s by Thursday afternoon/evening and lower 20s Thursday night. Wintry precipitation is possible Thursday through the evening/overnight hours. Significant travel problems will likely occur from late Thursday through the day Friday.
Wind: NE 15-25 mph
Friday, January 29
Tulsa, OK
Hi: 24
Lo: 20
Snow
Sunrise: 7:27 AM Sunset: 5:46 PM
Snow likely during the morning hours before ending from west to east late in the day. Gusty northerly winds, wind chill values likely in the single digits.

What the heck have I got myself into?

Ironically, I absolutely hate the cold. As mentioned before, my hands basically reach frigid temperatures for most of the winter months. Ask my patients- they hate it too. And funny enough, sometimes on our bike ride, my hands become warmer than they have been all day inside.

In preparation, we will probably be taking the bus when the winter storm rolls through to see if we can actually go carless for a month.

That is, if I can figure out how to read a bus map.

Have you ever looked at one of those things? It took me 15 minutes to figure out which buses to take and another 15 minutes to figure out what time to be there. Not that it is that difficult but it just takes quite a bit of concentration.

I have a Master's degree and figuring out my bus schedule almost got the best of me. Not for the faint of heart, folks.

Today, we rewarded ourselves for making it this far in our challenge by again stopping by Sound Pony, the local bar just a few blocks from our house and on our path home. We enjoyed their Happy Hour specials which includes free hot dogs. Mmm, nothing like a free hot dog to finish out a nice healthy day of bikeriding.
Kristin

3 comments:

  1. Yer barkin' up da wrong tree with Tulsa Transit. They are on life support. Hey, KOTV needs YOU!

    http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=11886655

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy said:

    You could, of course, do what lots of people with cars will do: stay home. ;D

    BTW, we need to chat about some bike accessories Dana and I have that you might borrow (keep) "for the duration": wire baskets that fit on both sides of rear wheel. Came from our biking days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've ridden the bus to and from work everyday for 4 years or so. From a former car lover, I prefer it. I ride from around 81st and Lewis rain or shine. The schedules are not so difficult once you get used to reading them. If you are not sure about a schedule, ask some one on the bus. We all know the schedules for our buses by heart. Buses are great in the snow and ice too.

    ReplyDelete